Friday, June 1, 2007

An adulterated McAdams burnout correlation and the Reactor of Sorts ( Updated May 3, 2008)

I've discussed the Reactor of Sorts (ROS) in today's prior entry. And as I mention there, Orwellian False Memories plague the universe. Nevertheless, please consider the following brief discussion.

It is a fact that McAdams of MIT published a straightforward correlation for burnout heat flux in relatively cold flowing water.

(Q/A)* = [400.000 + 4800(Tsat – Tlocal)] [cube root of V]

Where

(Q/A)*is burnout heat flux Btu/(square foot)(hr)

Tsat is water saturation temperature, degrees Fahrenheit, at local pressure

Tlocal is water temperature, degrees Fahrenheit, at location of burnout

V is water velocity, feet/second, at location of burnout

Now, in my world of false memories I began work at the ROS during January 1960. It was a very interesting machine. However, the corporate heat transfer experts may have published a paper that discussed burnout heat flux for the plate type fuel of the ROS. They might have taken the McAdams correlation and multiplied it by 1/3 to get the burnout heat flux for the ROS. I might have read their report and after a while I could have checked a bit further with one of the corporate heat transfer experts. The paper showed a rectangular heat transfer assembly that was electrically heated. In all cases the burnouts occurred in a corner. Looking at the square geometry of the corner, it became apparent, that the local heat flux was substantially greater than the average around the test section.

If I indeed was promoting a power level increase for the ROS, then I had to expose this error. In my wildest imagination, I succeeded in that, and this obstacle to power level increase was removed. And today, April 27, 2007, I am disclosing that if I succeeded in the power level increase (for which the GEnii would have gotten bonuses if indeed it happened) I would have used the unadulterated McAdams correlation and also posted results using the Bernath correlation, if indeed a licensing report was submitted somewhere.

And now, here are the pages from GETR licensing report, APED-5000-A,Class 1, July 1965. Bernath is there as well as the unadulterated McAdms and also Mirshak. Click these pages for enlargement.





So, that is the documentation added on May 3, 2008. Maybe I'll say more later.

No comments: