Friday, May 9, 2008

43 years ago Leyse developed sodium loops for GETR (Click on slides to enlarge)

I did great work in getting this going and I set up a fantastic 7-rod mockup with somewhat superb electrically heated fuel rod simulators . The racketeers got fed bucks to try to build more development rigs after I was fired. However, they had no luck in getting performance of the fuel rod simulators in sodium (high power heaters running at one kilowatt per inch at one quarter inch diameter).

I had written a report that described how I built and operated my mockup. I did well, but the rig needed further development. I had very few dollars and scrounged a lot. I did not even take time or money to procure the necessary swaging dies and used what the metallurgists had on the shelf. I recall using a 0.22 inch die for swaging the o.25 inch solid assembly, but I had luck and the high power heaters lasted long enough to collect a set of quality data at full power.

Well, when the chief GEnius took over, he had his GEnii follow my report to the letter. If they had looked into the fundamentals of swaging, they might have succeeded. Well, the clown has croaked, so I have no chance to needle him. Actually, I telephoned his place a long time ago, July 20, 1992, to really lay into him, but he had already permanently left the scene.

The last of the following six slides is likely of some relevance today because it has an impressive list of isotopes for sale. Again, click on the slides for enlargement, then click on your back arrow to get to the next slide. Or, skip it all and move on.









Following is one of the briefs that I wrote as I tried to get this going. And there will be more on this.

Of course, I'm working on this section, meaning that better stuff is on the way. This GE marketing brochure was on the street about 43 years ago. It is a good thing that no sodium loops were ever installed in the GETR.

No comments: