Friday, July 26, 2013

Hardened vented containment in BWRs (and ice condensers).  Here is my latest e-mail to NRC:

Subject:Re: Please respond
Date:7/25/2013 2:16:00 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time
From:Bobleyse@aol.com
To:OPA.Resource@nrc.gov


Hello:
Thank you for promptly pointing out my error.
I prefer to leave the ball in your court, and I've extended the date for your response to Friday, August 9, 2013. 
The correct reference is ML13143A321, page 33 of 36.  On that page I read:
1.2 The HCVS shall include the following design features:
1.2.1 The HCVS shall have the capacity to vent the steam/energy equivalent of 1 percent of iicensed/rated thermal power (unless a lower value is justified by analyses), and be able to maintain containment pressure below the primary containment design pressure.

I've been trying to get NRC to provide a list of references that document the basis for 1.2.1.

Certainly, NRC should realize that the amount of hydrogen produced at Fukushima as well as the timing and rate of hydrogen production was not related to 1 percent of the operating power levels of those units. 

I've tried earlier to find this out, without success.  If I do not get a satisfactory answer from NRC by August 9, 2013, I'll forward this e-mail to my Idaho U. S. Senator Risch.

Robert H. Leyse   bobleyse@aol.com

No comments: