Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Spent Fuel Pool LOCAs and Censorship by NRC

Censorship continues.  NRC will not open up.  Here is my email to my Idaho Senator dated November 20, 2013:

From: Bobleyse@aol.com
To: kari_emond@risch.senate.gov
CC: chairman@nrc.gov, cmrapostolakis@nrc.gov, cmrostendorff@nrc.gov, cmcmrmagwood@nrc.gov, cmrsvinicki@nrc.gov
Sent: 11/20/2013 1:34:10 P.M. Mountain Standard Time
Subj: The NRC lied to Senator Risch
 
Senator Risch:

On March 1, 2012, Buchanan of NRC wrote: The NRC has a long history of, and commitment to, transparency, participation, and collaboration in our regulatory activities.

I’ll concede that is likely that Buchanan’s letter is sufficiently weasel-worded so that lawyers at NRC could prove that nobody lied.

For years I have been trying to get details of NRC sponsored work at Sandia in the area of spent fuel pool fires.  NRC has stiff-armed my attempts.  It turns out that even GE and NEI have been stiff-armed; the following e-mail at NRC in the time frame of the shock of Fukushima  is revealing:

From: Zigh, Ghani
To: Gibson, Kathy; Scott, Michael
Sent: Wed Mar 16 14:01:31 2011
Subject:
FW: Spent Fuel Experiments

What is our decision on sharing the BWR zirc fire data with GE and NEI.

They are classified as OUO documents.


 In order to keep this brief, I’ll go right to the bottom line.  I want to know what is going on and what has been going on and what will be going on.  There are or have been a lot of non-American participants who apparently have full access to this activity.  How in the world did American taxpayers get stuck in a situation that requires that the work be classified as OUO and that stiff-arms American taxpayers, while a league of foreigners not only has access to the work, but may control it?

Finally, I am an expert in these matters.  On Mayday, 2002, I sent PRM-50-76 to NRC, NRC denied it, and I am continuing to work in the field.  Fukushima on the Columbia would be no fun and the Columbia Generating Station is not worth the risk. 

Robert H. Leyse
222 Elkhorn Road
P. O. Box 2850
Sun Valley, ID 83353

I have not received any reply. I'll send further requests during early January 2014.

No comments: