Friday, September 13, 2013

Fun with the Army's Gas Loop at the General Electric Test Reactor

Maybe I lack all of the files, but I have memories.

During the early 1960s our U. S. Army was considering a small gas-cooled power reactor.  The Army was testing the fuel in a gas loop at the General Electric Test Reactor (GETR).

The test engineer, Bill Thompson, quit and went to work elsewhere.

GETR was shut down for periodic maintenance, etc. when the loop's gas accumulator became overheated and swelled under pressure.

I had the task of looking into that (or at least I did that).  I contacted Thompson and described the situation.  Thompson told me that when the loop is shutdown with no gas flow it was his practice to shut off all power to the loop since the saturable reactor "leaked" even when there was no power demand.

The leaked current was enough to overheat the pressurized accumulator.  It swelled but it did not burst.

I wrote up the case and that documentation was not appreciated.  Later, General Electric told Thompson that he would be welcome to return to his job.  Thompson countered that he would return, however, he wanted to be a program manager.  That was not in the cards and Thompson stayed where he was. 

Ultimately the Army commended GE for its great work. 

No comments: