Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Upper Head Injection, UHI, recent correspondence

Introductory note:  The old NRC organization, Analysis and Evaluation of Operational Data (AEOD) had a very close and friendly relationship with the Nuclear Safety Analysis Center (NSAC) of the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI).  I was on the staff of NSAC, but I was unaware of the tight relationship with NRC.  It gets complicated, anyway following is an email that I recently sent to a then fellow employee who dealt with the NRC.

During late 1984 you sent me an AEOD document. At the time, unknown to me, you were the NSAC contact with Hennessey and likely others at AEOD.


Recently, I resurrected some old files now that Watts Bar-2 is in the news.  Of course, this will add to the fleet of operating ice condenser plants.  This old stuff was designed during an era of intense promotion, sloppy engineering, and forceful management that also yielded the Fukushima layout. 


UHI was part of that and a long time after I wrote the attached memo, all ice condenser plants in the USA and Japan abandoned UHI.  Unfortunately, ice condenser plants remain in operation, although they are the product of the same forces that yielded UHI.


Well, I never thanked you for that AEOD document, so,Thank You.


Bob Leyse


A further note:  The AEOD report that I castigated in the following memo is cited in the opening of the memo.































 



































This memo did not generate the action that I was seeking, so I expanded the distribution and that generated action.


 








No comments: