Sunday, August 31, 2008

Heat Transfer Experiments; Rectangular Channels

General Electric screwed-up. Westinghouse did not.

So, let's first look at the correct way to to the job. Westinghouse (Bettis) issued the following report that includes the correct design for a test section to determine the heat transfer characteristics of a rectangular channel.



The cross section below is the Westinghouse (correct) design for the heat transfer test section.


And the illustration below shows a neat way of installing the test section in apparatus for testing at high pressure (note the insulation to prevent leakage of electric current).

Now that you have seen the correct design, you may read the following that describes the errors in the GE design that led to an erroneous burnout heat transfer correlation. I was at GE (Vallecitos) less than four months when I wrote the following:






My boss at Vallecitos advised me to keep this close to my chest. Well, I talked a bit. Too bad. Several years later when politics pushed me out of Vallecitos, I certainly had no chance for a softer job in San Jose. HOW THINGS WORK!
Posted by Leyse at 11:44 AM

No comments: