Saturday, August 30, 2008

Lightning: My latest letter to INPO (INPO SER-76-84)

I e-mailed this yesterday and then mailed the signed copy.

Robert H. Leyse
P. O. Box 2850
Sun Valley, ID 83353

August 29, 2008

Ronn K. Smith
INPO
Suite 100
700 Galleria Parkway, SE
Atlanta, GA 30339-5943

Dear Ronn:

In your letter of August 4, 2008, responding to my request for INPO SER 76-84, you refer to the confidentiality between INPO and it members as essential to allow the kind of extensive plant performance analysis that INPO provides.

On August 17, 2008, I agreed that the long-standing INPO policy is OK; however I suggested that your board should consider releasing documents that are aged and insensitive. I also suggested that when NRC references a specific INPO SER in its public documents, the specific INPO SER should then be released to the public.

Please refer to page 121 of Levy’s book, 50 years in Nuclear Power, published during 2007 by ANS. Maybe Levy is wrong, but he describes in some detail how INPO went to Chairman NRC in disclosing its relations with PECO. “INPO finally decided to issue a very strong letter recounting past and current failures by PECO … When the INPO letter was published, it had a great impact on PECO and its top level officers.”

If the NRC does not give me INPO SER 76-84 under FOIA, I’ll remind the Chairman NRC that INPO, according to Levy, does not consistently regard confidentiality between INPO and it members as essential to allow the kind of extensive plant performance analysis that INPO provides.

No comments: